First, let's go over a quick primer on what mold is. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is toxic to you and your family is relatively uncommon in the fungi world, meaning most kinds aren't harmful. However, some are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you reach out to a emergency mold restoration contractor parsippany nj company for help if the mold growth takes up more than 3 square feet. This is because if you see mold, there is probably hidden mold trapped in drywall and crevices and elsewhere.
Before you contact mold cleanup specialists, the first step is to stop the mold from growing. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Next, work to stop the moisture source that brought the mold. For example, clear standing water and fix plumbing problems if you can. Next, stop it from spreading. You could block off the area in question with disposable tarps, for example.
Should you get a mold removal company to help or can you do the cleanup by yourself? Beyond pondering the magnitude of the issue, consider any aggravating health concerns that make you prone to risk.
Once you've made the decision, there are important steps to take in either direction. If you're performing the cleanup, start with gathering the right equipment and clothing. You'll need non-ventilated goggles, coveralls that are easy to wash and that cover your arms and legs, and mold-safe masks and gloves. You should also get new disposable sponges and a disposable tarp or two that can help trap the mold you get off. Mold removal specialists agree that you should not leave unpainted drywall that is moldy anywhere because it can't be cleaned well enough. Avoid cleaning with bleach.
Chances are that if you're worried enough about mold problems to look for solutions on the web, you will want mold removal technicians company. Don't choose a company focused on humid areas.
Check credentials before you hire a mold removal company. The State Office of Consumer Protection is a good place to get started, and you can check for approval by groups such as as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration.
Mold that is allowed to grow sends off spores, which act like seeds and can cause damage to spread very quickly. If you don't, parasitic fungi will continue to feast on your home or business and can destroy your things. Some types of mold, those that release mycotoxins, can also cause sever health problems ranging from brain damage. Mycotoxins can be particularly dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system .
The best way to mitigate your mold problem is to get professional mold damage cleanup help. Don't hesitate.